From Fitness Zero To Hero In 10 Weeks
My name is Kyle Mahadeo and I am one of the founders of Vagus Fitness.
We started our company approximately 8 years ago and it has been an amazing experience. It has taught me soo much about people and what it takes to be healthy.
In your late teens and early twenties, fitness is about vanity! Trying to look good to impress people by doing crazy high-intensity workouts, crash diets, and trending fitness fads.
The older you get, the more you realize that your body is not invincible and just how important your health is to your happiness.
For those north of 50, proper fitness and nutrition is unavoidable because it is directly correlated to one's vitality and quality of life.
Living a healthy lifestyle is simple but it is not easy. At Vagus Fitness we help everyday people look better, feel younger, and live healthier With Safe Exercise Programs Anyone Can Do.
Below is how our program can turn you into a fitness Jedi in the next 10 weeks.
The goal over the next ten weeks is to master your life, mind, body, energy and recovery.
A Jedi is a powerful warrior who has total mastery over his mind, body and environment. Over the next ten weeks, we challenge you to become a fitness Jedi.
Our coaches will provide you with the support and techniques you need to master your diet, lifestyle, and workouts. Our goal is to help you optimize your fitness and create a sustainable, healthy lifestyle.
Master your life
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." - Yoda
We all have goals, dreams and aspirations, but when it comes to pursuing them, life often gets in the way.
Excuses or insecurities win out over commitment. In order for you to be truly successful in your fitness program, you need to be in the driver’s seat of your life.
This means killing fear. Fear is the father of all negative emotion and stress, and leads to excuses like “can’t,” “impossible,” and “never,” all of which are cancers to success.
The way to kill fear is through support, preparation and education.
Vagus Fitness has the best personal trainers, clients and community Calgary has to offer; use them to your advantage! Throughout the 10-weeks, let your trainers and your new teammates be your cheerleaders and support group, and return the favour to them. Together, we will get results.
Knowledge is power! We encourage you to ask our coaches any questions that will help you succeed. We will do our best to educate you about the appropriate exercises and techniques and program to achieve your goals.
Success doesn’t happen by chance, it takes planning and preparation. Throughout the process, come up with a plan and stick to it. Plan your meals, your workout schedule, and your training sessions. You will be rewarded for your commitment.
Change is difficult and is hard to do alone. If you are serious about changing your lifestyle, you need the help of professionals. Vagus Fitness offers a team of educated and highly skilled personal trainers that can guarantee you results.
Start your 10-week overhaul by signing up below.
Master your mind
In order to conquer the world you must first master yourself.
In order to become your fitness Jedi, your motivation to succeed must outweigh your resistance against change.
Motivation and resistance are in constant competition. By better understanding the three contrasting components of each, you can strengthen your mental toughness and help yourself let motivation win.
What Causes Resistance:
- Contentment: Comforts in your life that prevents change.
- Fear: Negative emotions toward change and failure.
- Effort: The Large amount of work it takes.
What Causes Motivation
- Dissatisfaction: Factors in your life you would like to improve.
- Vision: How you picture your success.
- Why: Your core reason or purpose.
We start the 10-week process off with and assessment. The purpose of the assessment is to help motivate you by making you answer questions like:
- What could you change to reach your health and body composition goals?
- How can you measure your success?
- What is your major motive to get started?
After we have gathered this information and taken you through a few movement tests, we select the right personal trainer and the right package to match your goals and budget.
We sell our personal training on a session basis. We do not have any hidden fees or long term contracts. Our success as a studio is completely dependent on the value and results we provide for people.
Master Your Body
Every Person is the builder of a temple, called the body, after a style purely their own. We are all sculptors and painters and our material is our flesh and blood and bones.
We believe everyone is unique. We all come from different places, have different backgrounds, and different bodies. There is not one solution for everyone, but I think we can all agree that you need to challenge both the cardiovascular and muscular systems in order to stay healthy.
The secret to a healthy body is consistency and gradual improvements over time as your body changes.
It can be best explained through Kaizen:
Japanese for “improvement,” or “change for the better,” Kaizen is the philosophy that small improvements made on a continuous basis will yield the best results. Applied to fitness, Kaizen means that even the simplest exercises compounded over time can lead to improvement. Here is the process:
- Pick a consistent exercise program
- Measure the results of that program
- Gauge measurements against your goals
- Innovate small ways to increase the yield from each exercise
- Incorporate these changes into your exercise program
- Continue ad infinitum
Throughout your 10-week fitness journey, there will be times when you wonder, “am I on the right track?” Some weeks you will feel great about your progress, while other weeks you won’t see the results you thought you would. Developing your fitness level never happens in a straight line, and understanding that this thing called “health,” is a lifelong process. Below is a timeline of the results you can expect to see if you stick to the program our trainers layout for you:
WEEKS 1 – 4
Sleep better – You will notice that you are sleeping much better. Your sleeps will be deeper with fewer interruptions throughout the night and you will wake up feeling refreshed and rested!
More energy – This is one of the first things our clients notice! Regular exercise has been proven to improve energy levels with consistent energy levels throughout the day with fewer “crashes.”
- Mind/muscle connection – If you are new to strength training, this is especially true for you! Within the first 4 weeks, you will notice that you are able to engage the proper muscles without having to think about it too much!
- Increased strength & endurance - Within 4 weeks you will have gained strength throughout your body. Your muscle endurance will have also improved!
- Understanding of nutrition – You will learn the basics of the types of food you should be eating more of, as well as the proper portions of food to have at each meal!
WEEKS 4 – 8
Fat/weight loss – You will start to see body composition changes, which includes fat loss and muscle preservation or gain. The amount of fat/weight you lose is a function of the calorie deficit you create through your nutrition and exercise habits that you have created over the past few weeks!
- Strength achievements – Within the second month of training, you will see continual improvements in your strength, from your core, to your legs, to your arms/chest and back! Keep it going, this is when strength training really starts to get fun!
- Improved flexibility/mobility – You will notice that you are much more flexible than when you first started and your joints are more capable of moving through larger ranges of motion!
- Improved daily function – You will be able to do tasks you were never able to do before. For some, this might include walking up stairs without a railing, or being able to tie your shoe for the first time in years, or playing with your kids with energy and enthusiasm!
- Healthy habits – You will have formed healthy habits that include consistent exercise and a well balanced diet. You will really start to enjoy the process you are going through, and have a routine that you follow consistently, without too much thought!
- Deeper understanding of nutrition – by week 8, you will have a much better understanding of how to control your diet, and more importantly, a system that works for YOU. This includes understanding proportions of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats and healthy calorie intake for your lifestyle.
- Continued fat/weight loss – Your physical changes will continue to happen through fat and/or weight loss and your understanding of the difference between fat loss and weight loss will have deepened!
- Strength and endurance improvements – You might be noticing a theme here…you will continue to see strength and endurance gains in many of your exercises!
Master Your Energy
You are what you eat...
As human beings, our life-span is determined by two factors: time and energy. Time is largely beyond our control; disease, accident or genetics determine in part how long we will live. What we can control is our energy, the source of which is the food and liquid that we consume.
No car engine will run at peak performance if it is denied the fuel that it needs; the same principle applies to our bodies. The type and amount of food and liquid we consume can affect the quality and length of our lives. So… what makes a high quality food?
Nutrition consists of three building blocks.
Carbohydrates are your body’s primary fuel source. They provide you with the energy you need during exercise, and restock your muscles during recovery periods. If your carbohydrate levels are depleted your training will suffer, as you will not have enough energy to fuel your workouts. There are many ways to get the carbohydrates that your body needs. Choose wholesome carbohydrates like fruit, vegetables and whole grains, as these contain essential vitamins, minerals and fibre.
Protein is essential to the maintenance and development of muscle, red blood cells, enzymes, hormones and antibodies. A lack of protein can lead to chronic fatigue and anemia, which will impede the quality of your workouts. Be sure to include protein with every meal. Good sources of protein include lean meat, seafood, eggs and protein powder. Soy, beans and legumes also contain protein, although not as much as animal sources.
Eating fat doesn’t make you fat, but eating excess calories will. Everyone needs fat in their diet, as it provides a concentrated source of energy, fat-soluble vitamins, the protection and insulation of body organs, and components for cell structures and hormones. Fat also adds flavour to food and leaves us feeling satisfied after eating. The healthy fats found in olive oil, flax oil, coconut oil, seeds, avocados, nuts, nut butter and fish will help regulate hormones and decrease inflammation in the body.
At Vagus Fitness we have a simple method we use to create sustainable, flexible, individualized, enjoyable and effective nutrition plans.
1. Calculate your daily caloric needs depending on your prescribed exercise program and goals.
2. Choose a macronutrient ratio based on your body type.
3. Use a tracking app like My Fitness Pal
4. Just Do It.
This is the step where people stumble. Yes, you have to measure and weigh. Yes, you have to spend time preparing food. But…think of this step as an investment in yourself! Think of this step as using a GPS in a new city – you don’t use it every day nor should you, but you’ll need to use it at first or for a while, then less and less. You can create your own shortcuts and make it work for you.
Master Your Recovery
Even the brightest stars burn out.
Fatigue: The weakening or breakdown of materials due to repetitive use.
Exercise is the science of using stress and fatigue to increase the capacity of all of your body’s systems. For example, in order to increase muscle size, you need to make small micro-tears in your muscle fibers.
When your body rebuilds those tears, it enlarges the muscle. However, like any machine in the world, if you put your body through too much stress it will shut down until the damage is repaired. That is why with every exercise program you must follow three guidelines:
- Allow your body the appropriate amount of rest for your muscles to recover.
- If you exert your body past its recovery threshold, stop exercising until recovered.
- Only perform movements that you are comfortable with.
Getting started is the hardest part. The only thing you will regret about joining, is that you did not start sooner.
Vagus Fitness Creates Simple, Safe And Effective Personal Training Programs.
Fill out the information below to get started and receive $100 OFF your first purchase.