21 Ways to Successful Weight Loss
A couple of years ago we had the pleasure of working with holistic nutritionist Stacey Deering. She created these 21 tips for weight loss for one of our in studio nutrition plans. She is one of the most talented and educated in her field and I recommend checking out her web page.
We would love to get some feed back!
1. STAY HYDRATED – Getting enough water is vital to a successful weight loss program.
2. GET ENOUGH SLEEP –At least 8 – 9 hours each night. Not getting enough sleep will hinder weight loss as it increases cortisol levels. Sleep regulates metabolism.
3. GET ORGANIZED – Knowing what your next meal will be and having healthy food in the fridge encourages healthy eating. Plan your next meal and prepare as much as you can in advance. Structure your life so you have enough time to cook.
4. EAT SLOWLY AND CHEW YOUR FOOD- That way you will feel satisfied before you have eaten too much.
5. CLEAN OUT YOUR FRIDGE AND PANTRY- Throw out or donate any food that is packaged or processed. Chips, cookies, crackers, white flour and white sugar is not the highest quality of foods. Setting up your environment with fresh fruit and vegetables, raw nuts and seeds, and protein will ensure success.
6. GET MOVING - maintaining a regular exercise program is key to weight loss. For optimum results work with a fitness coach or personal trainer. A combination of interval training and weight training, combined with a healthy diet will get you to your goal faster.
7. FOOD LOG- Tracking your meals so you are responsible for what you have eaten will help keep you focused as well helps determine any allergies or sensitivities to food. Track fluid intake as well. A great food tracking app that like to use is called MyFitnessPal.
8. PORTION CONTROL- Eat small healthy meals and snacks throughout the day to control hunger and stabilize blood pressure.
9. EAT LOW GI VEGETABLES AND FRUIT- The richer the color the better the nutritional value. Glycemic index of a fruit or vegetable is important to know when trying to lose weight.
10. EAT THE RIGHT FAT – Fat does not make you fat, sugar does. But eating the right kind of fat will support weight loss and health. Choose from the healthy fats list and cook with coconut oil as much as possible. Use healthy oils and fats for salad dressings such as olive oil.
11. MAKE A LIST - Shop with a grocery list and try not to go grocery shopping when you are hungry.
12. SEASONAL AND ORGANIC - Buy seasonal and organic produce whenever possible. The added pesticides and herbicides in non organic produce can hinder weight loss and overload the liver.
13. AVOID ALCOHOL - Avoid alcohol or limit it to a few glasses a week. If you are going to have a drink, have a glass of red wine for it’s antioxidant benefits.
14. LEARN TO COOK- Knowing how to put together a few key dishes will keep you from ordering or dining out. Use flavor boosters such as spices, lemon and lime zest, and herbs.
15. ENJOY YOUR FOOD – If you do not enjoy the food you eat you won’t maintain eating healthy. Food is one of the enjoyments in life. Healthy food does not have to taste bad. Find a few cooking blogs you are inspired by and find healthy recipes.
16. NEVER FEEL DEPRIVED – Eat until you are satisfied but not stuffed. Feeling deprived encourages binge eating.
17. CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE – If you want to lose weight for the long term, start with a few lifestyle changes. Incorporate more activity, watch less TV, spend less time on the computer, and walk to work. There are many ways to incorporate small changes that make a big difference for your health.
18. GET A CHECK UP – See your doctor for a physical and have your blood work done to see if you have any deficiencies in your blood work. Vitamin D is commonly low along with vitamin B and iron.
19. SATURDAY NIGHT – Once a week, eat what you like.
20. DON’T OVERDO IT – If you go into a exercise program too hard and workout too hard you will quickly become exhausted and your program will fail. Ease into it, your immune system and nervous system will stay healthy.
21. IF YOU FAIL, GET BACK UP- A day or two of bad eating does not mean that you have failed yourself. Start fresh the next day and keep going. Have persistence.